How many of you have certain things or hobbies that peak your interests or are your passions?
Have you thought of those things? Keep that in the back of your mind.
We are all gifted in different areas with certain talents. These talents are unique to each and every one of us.
Growing up I had two main passions:
First was a curiosity for how things worked! As a little girl sitting on my bunkbed watching my father turn off the lights before going to sleep, I was always curious as to how the light was able to turn on and off.
How the television was able to display a picture. How the refrigerator kept things cold. How donuts were made, etc etc.
Did you ever wonder that? No… ok well moving on.
My Second passion was style and fashion. This is because I saw the way that personal style could transform a person. When a person was wearing their favorite outfit, their attitude shifted and you could see positive confidence radiating from them!
Throughout adolescence and into early adulthood, I learned very much about how things worked especially through engineering school.
During those years however, I was still neglecting one side of me, and that was the fashion and style side. I would look it up on the weekends, study different body shapes and always put outfits together but still that portion was not being fulfilled.
2011-2012 was when I really started to see social media platforms transform lives. From @mankofit who had about 4k followers at the time, to @thepatriciabright and her YouTube videos, I saw them doing what they loved and turning them into their passions. This was also when blogs were fairly new and my sister had one
It honestly didn’t hit me until I graduated college and thought “that’s it, I need to hop on this fashion train!” So I Googled literally every fashion show/event in my area and made it a thing to reach out to as many people as possible to try to get into the industry.
As I did that my “fashion network” began to grow and my passions were being fulfilled and I was starting to combing engineering with fashion and fashion with engineering. I like to bring my “Fashionista” to the office and with an office full of engineers….. let’s just say it is easy to stand out.
But see that is where the true problem lies. I love both, so why can’t I be both? At all times. Society has its way of keeping things separate. You can be this or that, not both.
Well society, FORGET YOU! Cause I am defying all odds and combining my passions.
When we combine our passions, these passions are our ANDS, as told by my dear friend Liz. When we utilize and combine our AND’s that is when those societal norms and barriers are broken. This is when we learn that it is ok to be many things and that being many things and utilizing many things makes us stronger.
So to you! Remember you’re talented, you’ve got gifts! Utilize your AND’s to tear down the societal walls!
Shoes: Angels in Flat Irons Mall
Bag: Urban Southern Use code VANESSA15 for 15% off your order!
Jewelry: NordstromContinue Reading
How many of you are good with time management? If you are, please help a girl out because moving further away from work has made me realize that I am not as great with time management as I had thought. Now that there are days spent 10 hrs away from home, with 2 of those hours in the car each day, it is vital that my time is not squandered. I don’t know about you, but when time slips away from me and nothing gets done, it leaves me feeling stressed and like a failure in some sense. In addition to working, there is blogging, events, friends and the normal demands of life that come in the way. Below, I’ve created a list of 10 things that can improve how my time is spent.
- Plan Outfits: You know those mornings when you don’t have an outfit planned and then you’re rushing around like a crazy person, trying on outfits and still cannot find anything to wear despite a full closet? Yeah, that was me every day last week.
- Plan Posts: I am pretty much the worst when it comes to scheduling blog and social media posts. Mainly, because my creativity is peaked at random moments, but I plan to get better at this!
- Limit/plan the time spent on Social Media. This is a bit difficult being a blogger and constantly being on social media. That does not mean it isn’t possible. There are so many apps that track your social media time and how often you open your phone.
- Have down time. Kind of strange when we’re talking about spending time wisely. Hear me out. A break from life allows you to reset, your brain to be free from distractions, ultimately letting those creative and innovative juices flow.
- Meal Prep. I am so bad at this but, I am working on it! If you have quick, healthy, recipes let me know!
- Plan out workouts for the week. The app that I use is Nike Training Club and they have tons of workouts and you can even set up a customizable plan.
- Have a calendar with events. Whether it is your phone or another planner, be sure to plan out events so that you know what you have coming up.
- Use travel time to learn: Podcasts, NPR, and audiobooks are life! As nerdy as they sound, they are life savers for people who have long commutes!
- Beautify yourself! If your skin is just feeling terrible but you’ve got so much to do, that means, it’s MASK TIME. Wearing a mask while doing laundry or housework kills two birds with one stone!
- Live in the moment! Be aware of your surroundings and continue to journey along!
Let me know if you try any of these tips and tricks for maximizing your time!
Bag: Kate Spade
Sunglasses: NORA NYC
In many cultures all throughout history, women were in competition with each other. They were in competition with each other for getting a man. This is because they did not have the opportunities we have today to be contributors of society. Their main roles were to produce children. Sometimes the only way to “move up” was to marry wealthy. Some women were taught to stay quiet for having ideas was frowned upon. In many cultures, women were to solely take care of household items.
Now more than ever, women have the ability to do and be whatever they’d like to be. While we still have a long way to go, and not all countries are at the same point, it is important for us to learn to lift each other up. Now there is healthy competition and unhealthy competition. When we get jealous of others or gossip about one another, it brings the entire gender of women down. Instead, we should lift one another up by supporting each other and helping one another within the struggles of life. When we get to know others without judgement, we learn more about the world, our surroundings, and can relate with people on a deeper level, connecting us in ways that we could never imagine! For my entire life, I always had friends that were different from me. Whether it was race, religion, style, background, class etc. However, I loved having so many friends from different “cliques.” Having so many friends from different groups made it difficult during adolescence because people naturally segregated themselves into groups. (continued below)
Left to Right: Shanell, Katie, Ashley, Vanessa, Sarah
Left to Right: Allison, Crystal, Vanessa
I wanted to start a project called the #LoveAHuman project. I got many of my friends together, some knew each other and some did not. I wanted to see what it was like to have people from contrastive lives and backgrounds come together. Needless to say, these women are all incredible and they PROVED that you can have unique upbringings and lifestyles, yet still learn to love someone different from you! My challenge to you is to get to know someone you may not typically hang out with or get to know! You never know what happens when you #LoveAHuman
For the wonderful photographer and women in this shoot, see below.
Photography: Paige Forden Photo
Each and every one of these women is absolutely incredible! Below are all their Instagram links!
Left to Right: Ansu, Sarah, Whitney, Me
Crystal and BKContinue Reading